Fall has arrived, and it brings us here in Iowa cooler temperatures, colorful flora, and the dreaded flu season. Iowa Prison Industries (IPI) has tips and products to help you reduce the spread of the flu and other germs in your facilities.
The following is a brief summary of the CDC’s Guidance for School Administrators to Help Reduce the Spread of Seasonal Influenza in K-12 Schools, which is applicable to any organization.
- Encourage students, parents and staff to get a yearly flu vaccine. See Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine for more information.
- Encourage students and staff to stay home when sick and to stay home until they are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medicine.
- Teach students and staff to cover coughs and sneezes and provide adequate supplies. See Cover Your Cough for printable flyers and posters.
- Encourage students and staff to use proper handwashing techniques and provide proper supplies. See Handwashing: Clean Hands Save Lives for more information.
- Routinely clean and disinfectant surfaces and objects that are touched often. Ensure staff is using appropriate cleaning products and following product label directions. See How To Clean and Disinfect Schools To Help Slow the Spread of Flu for more information.
- Educate students, parents, and staff on what to do if someone gets sick.
The CDC’s website section “Information for Schools and Childcare Providers” has as an abundance of information that you may find useful as you prepare your schools for the flu season.
IPI offers a variety of products to give your staff the proper tools they need to help prevent the spread of the flu and other germs in your school:
IPI also has training available to ensure proper product use and best cleaning practices.
For more information or to place an order, please shop the IPI website or contact IPI Customer Service at